Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Nursing Cover Project


DYI Nursing Cover


The materials




I made my own nursing cover, YAY, because honestly paying from $35 to $40 was a little high up considering they looked so easy to make. So with $20 dollars worth of materials (I still have materials to make at least 4, I over bought) I embarked on a journey never before seen in this house. Notice that I have milk and baby wipes as part of my working montage. 



I looked online for a pattern and found one at Prudent Baby she is the best and must receive the credit, and then just followed the instructions. Easier said than done, right!

After a very rough start, my sewing machine hasn't been used in over 5 years, and it kept hitting the bottom bobbin, I could finally sew a straight line. I measures and cut, then ironed and sew. 




It had to remember to read the instructions and not do what I think should do next, just because it looked like that on the picture. That would have saved me a lot re-doing and re-sewing.


So, anyway after two night of working on it, I finally finished it. I added my own touch to it and made it special. This is the finished project.

You can see I added a 2 pockets, one for something small and the other to hang the burping cloth from. It should come on handy. I will know later when I take it for a stroll. 


  
It covers my ladies and part of my lap. and there is room on the sides, maybe next one will be a little wider just because I'm paranoid.
 

I added boning to the neck part so I can see the baby while I nurse him. This is the best feature and is why I didn't just use any old blanket.
 
I can bet that a pro mom (some one who has done this before) can do it with just a burping cloth covering the child's head, or maybe with out any covering at all. But I am very self conscious and don't feel comfortable. Again maybe on the long run I will use a burp cloth too. But for now I am very happy with my DIM (Did it myself) burping cloth. 

See ya later.

No comments:

Post a Comment